A major city in the N.E. of Scotland. County town of Aberdeenshire- 4th largest city in Scotland lying between Rivers Don and Dee
Formely Forfarshire- A maritime and agricultural county on the East coast bounded by Kincardineshire and Aberdeenshireon the North, Firth of Tay on the South and Perthshire on the West
Arbroath or Aberbrothock is a former royal burgh and the largest town in the council area of Angus in Scotland, and has a population of 22,785.
The name signifies The Land of the Gael. District in mainland of Argyllshire separated from Lornby Lochs Awe, Avich and Melford.
Island in South of Bute in Firth of Clyde - six and a half miles south west of the nearest part of Bute - Herring fishing, sheep and cattle farming and tourism. 20 miles in length and 9 miles mean breadth.
Aubigny-sur-Nere, Centre Region, France, is a common tourist destination for Scots. The commune is very attached to the Auld Alliance, due to its 400 years of French-Scottish history and is the only place in France that still celebrates this long association each year, on Bastille Day. It is twinned with the Scottish town of Haddington, East Lothian.
A renowned holiday resort in Inverness-shire which commands magnificent views over the Cairngorms 12 miles south west of Grantown.
A maritime county in the S.W bounded on the west by the Firth of Clyde and North ChannelThe rivers Irvine and Doon cut the area into three sections- Cunningham, Kyle and Carrick
Ballater, Aberdenshire, is from Baile-na-leitir , which means the town near the slope of the hill.
Ballantrae was formerly known as Ballintrae (1868). A parish in the district of Carrick, in the county of Ayr, Scotland, 32 miles to the S.W. of Ayr, and 108 miles from Edinburgh.
Banff and Buchan District
Maritime county of Banffshire in the NE of Scotland is bounded on the north by Moray Firth and south by Aberdeenshire.
Caledonia is another name for Scotland. Many Scots have surnames that are not linked to any one clan. Tartans in this section are suitable for anyone with a Scottish connection.
Carrick - one of the ancient divisions of the county of Ayr. There is a Carrick District and a Carrick Hunting tartan. The Carrick (Strathmore) is a minor variation of the District sett with a distinct azure stripe.
Culloden Moor on the border of Inverness-shire and Nairn 6 miles from Inverness. A cairn 20feet high marks the battlefield which was the scene of the defeat of Prince Charles Edward by the Duke of Cumberland and the cause of the Stuarts finally crushed 16th April 1746
Dunbartonshire a western county bounded by the Clyde on the south and Stirling-shire and Loch Lomond on the East The tartan listed is for Dunbarton, Quebec in Canada which took its name from the old Scottish town. The spelling of Dun or Dum has changed over the years.
3rd Scottish city on the left bank of the estuary of the Tay 10 miles from the sea and 50 miles from Edinburgh
The capital of Scotland, standing on the Firth of Forth and including Cramond, Granton, Newhaven, Leith and Portobello, has a seafront of 9 miles. The city rises by a series of ridges and is overlooked by Arthurs Seat. The town grew up around the Castle which was a stronghold for Edwin of Northumbria and from whom the town is said to have derived its name
On the River Ettrick in South Selkirkshire. James Hogg the Ettrick Shepherd was a native of the parish
A peninsular county in the east of Scotland, once an independent kingdom. The coast line is varied but seldom high and the undulating interior offers a succession of cultivated hills and vales. The tartan is the Duke of Fife tartan.
On the Caledonian Canal and Loch Linnie this town lies at the foot of Ben Nevis in the county of Inverness- shire and 65 miles south west of Inverness.
The largest city in Scotland. It stands on the Clyde about 22 miles from its estuary and is 44 miles from Edinburgh, 397 from London and 137 from Aberdeen. The earliest records refer to Mungo who built a church on the grounds now occupied by the Cathedral
Glenaladale lies in mountainous country on the north side of Loch Shiel in Moidart - part of the area traditionally known as the Rough Bounds.
Glengoyne famous for whisky in Glasgow. The name comes from 'Glenguin' or 'Glen of the Wild Geese'.
The name is generally applied to the district around the range of mountains beginning at Dumbarton in the S.W. of Scotland and forming a high ridge to the north and north east as far as Stonhaven on the east of Scotland
HUNTLY, a burgh of barony and a parish, in the district of Strathbogie, county of Aberdeen, 39 miles (N. W.) from Aberdeen, and 145 (N. by E.) from Edinburgh.
The Hebrides or Western Isles fo the west coast of Scotland estending 200 miles from the Butt of Lewis to the Kintyre peninsula and including St. Kilda. The Outer Hebrides are separated from the mainland by the Minch and from the north isles of the Inner Hebrides by the Little Minch. The dhief isles in the outer group are Lewis, Harris, N. Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Barra. The Inner Hebrides comprise of Islay, Mull and Skye
Royal palace and ruined abbey adjacent to the King's Park in Edinburgh.For years has been the Royal residence of the Scottish sovereigns, especially famous for the residence of Mary Queen of Scots. In the present day, it is also the site and name of the Scottish Parliament.
Co town of Argyll shire and stands on the west side of Loch Fyne. Inveraray Castle is the chief seat of the Duke of Argyll
County town of Inverness-shire 108 miles from Aberdeen and 192 miles north of Edinburgh situated near the mouth of the River Ness. The Caledonian Canal passes about 1/2 mile from the town
North Ayrshire town on the Firth of Clyde - a well known holiday resort and gives name to a famous battle fought adjacent to it in 1263 between Alexander III of Scotland and Haco of Norway
South Inverness-shire. The surface is an assemblage of deep glens, broad moors and lofty mountains. Length 33 miles and greatest width 21 miles including the town of Fort William.
Comprising West Lothian, Midlothian, and East Lothian, the shires around the capital city of Edinburgh.
Island in north west of Argyll 7 miles west of Oban. The Sound of Mull on the north east and the Firth of Lorne on the south east divide it from the mainsland
The western of the divisions of Dumfries-shire - takes its name from being drained and traversed by the River Nith
A group of 67 islands separated from Caithness by the Pentland Firth about 8 miles broad. About thirty of the islands are inhabited. The largest is known as mainland and has two towns Kirkwall and Stromness
This is one of the most extensive counties in Scotland lying nearly in the centre of the country There are extensive deer forests in the county and fishing plays a main part,
Renfrewshire or the County of Renfrew is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area in the West central Lowlands of Scotland.
A town on Bute in Firth of clyde19 miles south west of Greenock. A summer resort with sandy bay, harbour and pier
Border district of Scotland bounded by Berwick shire, Northumbersland, Cumberland, Dumfries, Selkirk and Midlothian.
The largest, most varied and most picturesque of the Hebrides,The island is indented with lochs an the hils with Loch Coruisk in their midst form one of the wildest and most picturesque scenes in Scotland
Royal burgh in Ffe 13 miles south east of Dundee It has the oldest University in Scotland founded in 1411
St Kilda is the most western group of islands in scotland being 40 miles west of Harris and 100 miles from the mainland of Scotland. In 1929 the remaining inhabitants were taken to the mainland.
Midland county with the Highlands to the north and the low valleys of the Forth and Clyde to the east and west.Loch Lomond lies on the west.
At one time a kingdom formed by the northerly Romanised Britons It extended from the Cllyde to the middle of Lanarkshire the capital being Dunbarton.
Valley of the River Earn extending over 30 miles from Loch Earn to Bridge of Earn
District around the River Tweed which is chiefly in Scotland but has a boundary with England River Tweed is 97 miles in length -famous fishing.